I’m sharing my Bread Making Method. I learned this from a lady in Arlington. She learned from her grandmother when she was 12 years old. I finally can make excellent Bread.
To download and print, CLICK HERE for a PDF of my Bread Making Method.
From Donna’s Kitchen
Method of Baking Bread
Dakota Maid Bread Flour
C&H Sugar (Cane), Beet has GMO in it
Yeast – Platinum Superior Baking Yeast. Red Star – White Package (Cub at Hwy 7/101 in Minnetonka has this)
- Have flour warm, also the bowl to mix in and yeast bowl.
- Yeast needs water at 115°f. Use a candy thermometer. Add yeast to water. Also 1/2 tsp sugar. Raise 10 minutes.
- In a large warm bowl, have your liquid 105°f (I use water). Add other ingredients, 2 cups flour only. (Also yeast)
- Beat with electric mixer 2-3 minutes.
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap and a heavy towel (1 hour). I set this by heat. This is called Proofing.
- To finish I add 1 cup flour at a time, stir into mixture. Keep adding flour 1 cup at a time until the dough follows the spoon.
- Put dough on a flour board to kneed. Use remaining flour. Kneed 1/4 to 1/2 cup at a time. Kneed 10 minutes.
- Grease bowl, put dough ball upside down to grease, then turn it over and the other side will be greased.
- Cover with plastic wrap and heavy towel.
- Raise until double or triple, 1 1/2 hours or so.
- Punch down, turn ball of dough over.
- Cover again to raise, double or triple.
- Punch down and turn out on a lightly covered board. Divide into equal parts.
- Let rest 10 minutes (cover with towel). Shape into greased loaf pans.
- Cover with towel.
- When bread comes up over pans about 2 inches.
- Bake at 400° (have oven ready). If your recipe says less heat, it doesn’t work. The bread can taste yeasty. I bake mine 30-35 minutes.
- Take a loaf out of the oven. Take out of pan. Knock on the bottom. If it sounds hollow, it’s done. Put on wire rack, butter top. I use wax paper with butter on. Cool and enjoy.